Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 11, 01/11/2009, Tradition...the 3rd Pew on the Left

Our family has many traditions, but more that take place on Sunday than any other day of the week. We attend church on Sunday mornings, then we eat lunch together with my sister and her family. I have attended the same church all of my 52 years. I lived away for 11 years while I attended college, law school and worked, but my membership stayed here at First Church as it is referred to and I continued to attend when I came home to visit. In 1985, I returned to our town to live.

I was baptized here and I grew up here. This picture is of the amazing stained glass window that is next to the church pew that my family has sat on all of my life, or as long as I remember. It is the third pew on the left side as you face the pulpit. Of course, there are times that someone else will sit there and that is always just fine with us.

When I was growing up, our family always sat together during the church service. We were never permitted to sit with friends as my parents looked at this time as family time. So having a designated pew to meet at before the church service started was helpful. Now, my mother has passed away and my dad lives in another town, but my older sister and I continue the tradition of sitting on the same pew. It gives me great comfort. I remember sitting with my parents on this pew as I grew up and gazing at this beautiful stained glass window. There are three of these magnificant windows in our church. I still gaze at this window and now have my husband and two adorable children sitting with me.

11 comments:

  1. What a great story - and an awesome window!! Simply stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Allison, this just gave me chills. I love hearing that you've grown up on this church and continue to sit in the same pew. I've been an Episcopalian almost my whole life, but I've been a member of many, many churches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible window! Your photo captured the light just perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous view you have during church! I think it is wonderful you have had the same church all your life. I had the same one for over 30 years that was also my school and I was devastated when they decided to move too far away for me to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an incredible story. I hope the tradition of "your pew" lasts for generations more. beautiful window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should note that this photo was taken with my Blackberry camera just before church started this morning. Not a bad picture for such a little camera! I also have tried to find out how old the windows are. They sanctuary was built I think in the late 1800's. I need to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, beautiful story and window!!! We've only been going to church (regularly) for about 6 years but EmmaLi will grow up always knowing a church home and I hope that she is able to tell a story like this some day!

    I need to get a photo of our windows, they were brought from the "old" church when they built the new one about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just adore your family tradtion, its so wonderful!! Makes me ache for one of my own. I really miss church! GORGEOUS photo, seriously wow what a window!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo! And even more beautiful journaling. I love the story...and I love that you and your sister continue the tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just reading about your family's tradition of sitting in the same row gives me a very reassured and happy feeling. How special for you and your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful photo and story. No doubt your family has many wonderful memories of your church and special pew.

    ReplyDelete